- Parboiled rice - 3 cups
- Black gram dal - 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for smearing moulds
- Soak the rice in water. Soak the black gram dal in water separately, And let both soak for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Thoroughly wash the black gram dal and grind adding water, Till the mixture is smooth, Light and frothy. Wash and grind the rice into a paste.
- Add salt to taste and mix thoroughly. Pour into a large bowl and allow to ferment overnight.
- Mix the batter again in the morning. Mix well. The batter should be thick like cake batter. Water may be added if it is too thick.
- Smear idli moulds with oil, and pour the batter in each of them till they are three quarters full. Steam the idlis in a pressure cooker for about 10 minutes. Note: Do not use the weight in pressure cooker as this is used for steaming purpose only. An automatic rice cooker with a tumbler of water poured in can also be used as a steamer
- Serve hot with chutney, molagapudi or sambhar.
- 1 cup Moong dal
- 1/4 cup Thoor dal
- 5 Drumsticks(11/2 inch pieces)
- 1 Carrot (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 Medium size brinjal (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 Potato (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 Medium size tomato
- 1 Medium size onion
- 1 Coriander powder
- 1/2 Chilli powder
- 1/4 Turmeric powder
- Salt for taste
- 2tbsp Oil
- 1 Chopped onion(chopped)
- 1tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2tsp Urad dal
- 3 Curry leaves
- In a pressure pan fry the moong dal for 6-7 mts.
- Add the thoor dal,vegetables,chopped tomato,chopped onion,green chillies.
- Pressure them till 2 whistle.Then, open the pan & add coriander powder,chilli powder,turmeric powder,salt & cook for 5 mts.
- Now,in a tempering vessel pre-heat the oil & splutter the mustard seeds,urad dal, curry leaves.
- Add the onion & fry the till gloden brown & add to the sambar.
- Sambar is ready serve with Idly & Dosa.
Recipe credits - http://www.chennai.com/idli.html